At the start of the Independent Study Module, I wanted to refresh my memory of what my Concept and Generation research question was and how this could be achieved in this module. I had the following notes:
Research question: When is “less is more”, not enough?
- Looked into the movements associated with flat design. Bauhaus, minimalism, swiss style.
- What had to be overcome to achieve an effective design.
- How flat design has been pushed to its limits of “less is more”
- When the message is lost within the design as too little detail has been given and how to prevent it.
- Flat design strips down a design to its basic, important elements.
- Flat design’s method of communication through design and relies upon the interpretation of the viewer to successfully achieve its goal.
- “Less is more” – Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
- Flat designed motion graphics relies upon motion to characterise an object.
The Actual Project
- To form my own flat design style that accomodates all the issue’s some flat designers fall into and correct them in my own way.
- Aim my project at a target audience (young adults) and allow them to feedback and help tweak my style.
- A motion graphic piece that illustrates a story without any words/voice over, only the design and motion (and backing track) OR a video comparing my new style to another artists, pointing out where I have improved upon the style.